Tuesday, May 3

Fitting it all in

I know we arent up to the task of working out our diaries and plans, but its been troubling me on how im going to fit it all in with shift work & study. Ive posted a topic about it on the forums and have had some interesting replies, and hopefully Michelle may have some tips aswell. I think a few people on the forums arent reading it properly and think im making excuses for not finding time to exercise which isnt the case at all. Ive got time, just not in the same way as people who work mon-fri 9-5. I cant squeeze in time to exercise when there is no time to squeeze anything into! Ultimetely we need to be doing 6 gym sessions a week with one of them being a double, or 1000cals. Ive sorta come up with a rough idea of how to manage my days with work & study and see where I have time to fit in gym sessions.

Day shifts were I have to work the day after aswell.
4:30am- wake up, breakfast, get ready, drive to work.
7:30pm- finish work, drive home.
8:30pm- get home, have shower, do dishes, feed dogs etc.
9:30pm- go to bed.

Last day shift before nights or days off.
Same as above til 7:30pm- finish work, drive to gym.
8:30pm- arrive at gym, get changed. Work out for an hour.
9:45pm- drive home.
10pm- get home, shower, dishes, dogs etc.
11pm- go to bed.

1st night shift.
8am- get up, breakfast, drive to gym.
9am- get to gym, 1hr workout.
10am- finish gym, drive home.
10:30am- get home, shower, do any chores, have lunch.
12am-2pm- study.
2pm-5pm- nap before work. (it usually takes me about 1-2hrs to even fall asleep during the day)
5pm- get up & ready for work.
6pm- go to work.
Work til 7:30am next day.
7:30am- drive home.
8:30am- get home, shower, go to bed.
Sleep til 5pm
5pm- get up, get ready for work.
6pm- go to work again.

Last Night Duty (then onto days off).
7:30am- finish work, drive to gym.
8:30am- get to gym, get changed, workout 1hr.
9:30am-go home.
10am- get home, shower, go to bed.
Sleep til 6pm
6pm- wake up, dinner, dishes, dogs etc.
8pm-10pm- study.

Days Off
8am- get up, breakfast, go to gym.
9am- get to gym, workout 1-1.5hrs
10-10:30am- finish gym, go home.
10:30am- get home, shower.
11am-5pm- study, free time.
5pm- dinner.
7pm- drive to gym.
7:30pm-8:30pm- gym session 1hr.
9:00pm- get home, shower.
9:30pm- bed.  

On average I either do 3 day or 3 night shifts in a row with 4 days off afterwards. So counting up all available times to go to the gym I can do 4 days of double sessions, so 8 single sessions, plus 1 session on my last day shift or 1 session after my last night shift, so I have time to do 9 gym sessions a week. And we only need to do 6 a week, with one of them being a 1000cal session. Hopefully this may show that im not full of excuses about being time-poor, I just have to use my time differently to most people. Hopefully someone else in a similar boat could get some ideas about better time management aswell, looking at the whole week as one, and not single days like the fortunate majority of people do....

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I don't think you're making excuses at all (and didn't think so on the forum at all which is why I commented on the thread). I think sometimes its hard for those of us who don't work shift work etc to get our heads around that sort of lifestyle. I only get a glimpse with my partner's shift work but even then sometimes I don't really 'get it'.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bella! I have to admit, I think some people just get too caught up in the "process" and the thinking that everything is an excuse, but there is a difference between making an excuse and something being impossible. I dont think some people will ever understand if they have never experienced the life of a shift worker! Thank you for your understanding & for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete