Tuesday, May 3

Facts & Figures

Ive been reading Michelle Bridges 'crunchtime' book and looking up online all about the science of weightloss with formula's for basal metabolic rate, how many calories to burn per kg etc and have come up with some interesting figures. Im pretty certain they are accurate aswell as its all explained in Mish's book.

To start with- my basal metabolic rate, the number of calories I burn if I was to lay in bed all day. Based on my age, gender, height & weight, my BMR is 1885cals per day. Then using the Harris Benedict Formula of factoring in lifestyle ( I chose sedentary, even though im on my feet at work all day), I multiply my daily BMR by 1.2, which equals 2262cals per day. So my weekly BMR is 2262 x 7= 15834.

Next, the exercise- our mission (which we have chosen to accept) is to burn 3500cals per week. So adding the 3500cals per week exercise with my BMR(15834) equals 19334cals per week burned.

Now for calories in: 1200cals a day is 8400cals per week.

Now for the highly scientific formula: calories in minus calories out!
8400 (in) - 19334 (out) =10934cals deficit per week.

Next is calories per kilo. After much research its well estimated that 3500 cals is equal to 450grams (or 0.45kg) So my deficit of 10934, divided by 3500 equals 3.124. Now multiply 3.124 by .45, and this equals 1.4058. So my estimated weight lost per week based on the mathematics of weightloss is 1.4kg.

Interesting stuff!

Obviously, this calculation will change as I lose weight- my BMR is based on weight so it drops so will my BMR and my calorie deficit. So it will be good to re-calculate the above as I lose weight to see how much more calories I need to burn to maintain a steady weightloss.

3 comments:

  1. When I first ready all that a few months back it was a bit of a revelation to me!!! And trust me, the majority of the time, the maths works out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I just saw your goals down the side of your blog - awesome!!! Except that you may need new jeans far sooner than 20 kilos off!! I am up to 11 kilos now and my pants were literally falling down!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heaps of old jeans ranging from sizes 12-16 which I have kept and im planning to fit into! Luckily ill always have some jeans to fit into as I get slimmer. Im about to do a post with all my old clothes id like to fit into so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete